Dust Assessment and Management
Air Noise Environment Pty Ltd has a strong background in particulate monitoring, assessment and management, including completion of applied research in the field of particulate emissions. Our extensive experience encompasses monitoring, assessment and control of a wide range of particulate emissions, including chemical analysis, size fractionation and directional sampling.
A key feature of the services we offer, is the expertise to complete site based assessments, as well as predictive modelling, to allow the most appropriate control solutions to be developed for a particular situation. We routinely complete assessments of the potential for particulate emissions for major construction projects, quarries and mines, concrete batching plants and industrial processes involving dry or friable raw materials. Often, these projects include baseline monitoring of existing particulate concentrations and fallout rates, predictive modelling and development of particulate controls and management plans.
We own a range of sampling equipment for particulate monitoring, including monitoring in a range of size fractions. In some cases, more detailed analysis of suspended or deposited dust is completed, for example for metals, asbestos fibres or crystalline silica content. Where appropriate, we lodge samples with specialist analysts for Electron Microscopy to allow determination of particulate composition, molecular structure and colour. This level of analysis is particularly suitable when the source of a dust impact is being determined.
Selected project examples include:
- Australian Coal Research Association (ACARP) research projects; 'Fine Particulates and the Implications for the Coal Industry' and ' Improving Particulate Estimation Techniques'.
- Construction dust monitoring for numerous projects including construction of a runway extension at Gold Coast Airport, Beenleigh Road upgrade, Luggage Point water recycling project.
- Baseline or operational dust monitoring for numerous mines, quarries, mineral workings and landfill facilities including Cracow Gold, Newmont Tanami, Mt-Coot-Tha Quarry, Readymix Noosa, Collex Gold Coast.
- Investigation of particulate emissions from a food manufacturing plant in New South Wales, to assess whether the emissions were responsible for causing damage to paint on vehicles parked at a neighbouring site. The project involved collecting samples from the parked vehicles and particulate emissions from the stack, with electron microscopy analysis, to confirm whether the particulates on the vehicles arose from the stack emissions.
- Baseline ambient deposition sampling and analysis for the Townsville Ocean Terminal project. Samples were analysed for a range of metals, to assess the contribution from nearby potential emission sources at the Port of Townsville.