Acoustic Design and Certification
Acoustic design involves providing information to the design team with respect to appropriate acoustic objectives for a particular use, and then providing advice as to appropriate methods and materials for achieving them. Often, we work with the project architect to determine appropriately rated building materials to achieve internal noise level goals, and specification of internal acoustic materials to provide an appropriate sound quality internally for the proposed use. Our experience in acoustic design encompasses projects involving a range of uses including residential, commercial, educational, medical, retirement developments, motels, hotels, clubs, restaurants, sporting venues and industrial operations.
Many government agencies, including the Queensland Department of Main Roads and a number of Local Authorities, require certification of acoustic designs and construction where specific acoustic objectives are required to be met as a condition of approval. The certification may take the form of a statement from a qualified Acoustician, a certification from a Registered Practising Engineer (RPEQ) or a Statutory Declaration. Our personnel have the expertise and qualifications to undertake the full range of acoustic certifications that may be required for a range of projects including aircraft and road traffic noise design reviews and certification, noise barrier certifications and inspection, Queensland Development Code MP44 Certifications and certification of acoustic construction for a range of other noise impacts.
Examples of project experience include:
- Acoustic certification of training college, Algester (on behalf of Stokes Wheeler).
- Acoustic certification of plant room acoustic mitigation, Brisbane CBD.
- Road traffic noise acoustic assessment and certification of a multi storey residential block in St. Lucia.
- Road traffic noise assessment and certification of a townhouse development along a main road at Kippa-Ring.
- Road traffic noise acoustic assessment and certification of a residential town house development on Browns Plains Road, Marsden.
- Acoustic testing, design of mitigation solutions and acoustic certification for multi unit development at Nundah.
- Acoustic modelling and design review for a proposed school, including specification of acoustic mitigation solutions for external road traffic noise, advice with respect to aircraft noise attenuation and provision of information and advice regarding acoustically rated construction materials.
- Acoustic modelling, design review and certification of a Motel development affected by road traffic noise in Capella, including completing a design review and inspections during the construction of the buildings.
- Certification of acoustic barriers to confirm compliance with development approval conditions for projects in the Brisbane City Council area.
- Brisbane NSBT road tunnel: verification of Emergency Egress PA System acoustic intelligibility performance by completing acoustic modelling of the PA System design options and assessing the optimum positioning and distribution of the loud speakers.
- Facade insulation testing and acoustic design certification for a large high-density unit development in Bulimba, Brisbane.
- Certification of an acoustic barrier, review of architect's design and inspection of building construction for a residential development in Logan.
- Sound insulation testing and assessment of compliance with development conditions for a Retirement Village in Townsville.