Road Traffic Noise Studies
The assessment of impacts of road traffic noise generally follows specific methodologies, defined by the QLD Department of Main Roads and NSW Roads and Traffic Authority. The modelling and prediction method generally applied in these assessments is the CoRTN method developed in the United Kingdom, which allows a range of variables and parameters relevant to the generation and propagation of road traffic noise to be considered. Air Noise Environment utilise computational modelling tools, such as CADNAA to complete detailed modelling and analysis of road traffic noise impacts, with the CoRTN calculation algorithms being utilised in this model.
Our experience encompasses assessments of proposed new roads, bypasses, upgrades, bridges and tunnels, as well as numerous development proposals at sites affected by existing or proposed future road infrastructure.
Project examples include:
- Beaudesert Nerang Road Upgrade noise assessment. Ambient noise monitoring and completion of noise predictions using the CoRTN methodology were undertaken for two road alignment upgrade options. The predictions included development of appropriate mitigation options for various sections of the roadway.
- Gladstone Kirkwood Road noise assessment. Noise predictions were undertaken for Stage 1A of the proposed Kirkwood Road development. The predictions included the development of appropriate mitigation options for various sections of the roadway.
- Noise monitoring and modelling of proposed new sub-arterial road in Tweed (on behalf of Tweed Shire Council).
- Road traffic noise monitoring, CoRTN modelling and development of road traffic noise solutions for a series of developments at Airlie Beach.
- Baseline noise monitoring for model validation and post-completion verification for the proposed upgrade of the Waterford-Tamborine Road (on behalf of DMR Southern Region).
- Noise monitoring and modelling of amended design for new sub-arterial road in Tweed (on behalf of Tweed Shire Council).
- Road traffic noise monitoring, CoRTN modelling and development of mitigation solutions for assessment of road traffic noise impacts before and following completion of the Bundaberg Ring Road project, including noise monitoring to validate the modelling predictions.
- Ambient road traffic noise monitoring and CoRTN noise predictions for more than 100 residential and commercial developments including developments in Airlie Beach, Mackay, Gladstone, Tannum Sands, Sunshine Coast, Gold Coast, and Brisbane.